Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Every Day is a New Beginning

Tonight I learned of a very worthwhile challenge/hop going on - The Hop To Stop.  This is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month.  Did you know that 1 in 3 women will experience domestic violence over the course of their lifetimes?  I, unfortunately am 1 of the 3.  When I was 18 I made one of the dumbest choices of my life.  I married an abusive man.  I was very week minded and very easily cowed.  This man nearly killed me at least three times.  He not only abused me physically, but also abused me verbally and sexually.  I have a scar on my thumb from stopping a knife from going into my throat that reminds me every day not to EVER let myself be put in that situation again.  Because of this history I find it extremely difficult to allow anyone to be emotionally close to me.  What happened to me when I was 18 still effects me 28 years later.  Needless to say, I find this hop a VERY worthwhile thing to do!

Please know I'm not telling this piece of my history for sympathy.  I believe that God allows things to happen to us so that we can not only learn from them but so that we can help others through the same or similar situations.  I have two tattoos on my body.  Both are butterflies.  Butterflies are a reminder to me that every day is a new beginning!  Take what you learn from life and bring it to the next day with the hope that your higher power, be it God, Buddha, Jahova or whomever it is you follow will show you how to use it for good.

The hop to stop has so many fantastic sponsors...check this out!


The Cat's Pajama's is giving a $50 gift card!
DCWV is giving a prize pack of papers and stickers!
 The Funkie Junkie is giving 3 Purple Distress Spray Stains!

http://heroarts.com/http://happylittlestampers.com/https://www.ribbonresource.com/


Hero Arts is giving a prize pack of stamps and embellies
Happy Little Stampers is giving a $30 gift card
May Arts Ribbon is giving a TON of purple ribbon

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MHKDesignshttp://www.newtonsnookdesigns.com/http://www.papertemptress.com/
MHK Designs is giving some gorgeous digital stamps & paper
Newton's Nook is giving a $20 gift card
Paper Temptress is giving a $25 gift card

http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/http://stamplorations.blogspot.com/http://www.unitystampco.com/


Simon Says Stamp is giving 6 of their purple ink pads
STAMPlorations is giving a $20 gift card
Unity is giving a $200 prize package

 
http://shopverve.com/
Verve Stamps is giving a $30 gift card
Winnie & Walter is giving a $25 gift card


My card for this 'purple' hop has several butterflies on it.  The image is from Lacy Sunshine.  I made the sentiment myself.


Thank you for looking!  Love, hugs and strength to those who are struggling to get through today, tomorrow and all of their yesterdays.




Glitter n Sparkle  (up to 3 entries) Anything Goes
Pile It On – (winners announced on Wednesdays) – 1 of something, 2 of something, 3 of something
Lil Patch of Crafty Friends (up to 3 entries) – anything goes
WhoopsiDaisy Challenge  - (up to 2 entries, 3 if at least one is a WD image) – Hand Colored Image
Craft Your Passion Challenges (up to 3 entries) – ALWAYS anything goes
Sweet Stamps – anything goes
Crafting From The Heart  (up to 3 entries)– ALWAYS anything goes
Clear It Out Challenge blog (enter up to 3 times) – Theme: Things w/wings     Stash:   glitter
Crafty Sentiments Designs Challenge blog (1 entry per person)anything goes
Deep Ocean Challenge Blog  Fairies or Angels
Paper Take Weekly (no more than 5 entries) – Anything Goes
Wags'n'Whiskers – Use a Die Cut
2 Creative Chicks – Anything Goes

21 comments:

Brenda said...

Karen, beautiful card in so many ways. Your post is wonderful too! I chose butterflies for my card for the same reason you chose them. I pray for your continued healing, you are obviously a very strong soul! Hugs, Brenda

suzARTe said...

Karen thanks for sharing this story, you are a very brave woman who has gone forward with your life and you achieve great things every day.

I love your card, so pretty (as usual). Just letting you know that I have started the link-up's again at Just keep on creating. I hope you will consider entering your work again when you get the chance.

Lisa Lynn said...

Karen, your card is gorgeous. Everyone has a story and you are an amazing woman. I am glad that you are such a strong person and that you share your story so hopefully others will learn and get out of such devastating situations. There are good people and men, but still be cautious just know they are out there.

Isobel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Isobel said...

Great card thanks for sharing at Crafting from the Heart good luck x

Isobel said...

Great card thanks for joining in at Whoopsi Daisy good luck x

Purvi Gadewar said...

Thanks for sharing your story Karen...I am sure you have inspired many people to be Brave and Strong...
You have made a gorgeous card...beautiful design!
Hugs, Purvi

Dr Sonia S V said...

So wonderful of you to bravely share your story...I am glad you are out of the situation...yes the scars both physical and mental will remain ...be safe

Cheers
Dr Sonia

Becca Cruger said...

I just want you to know that today in little ol' North Dakota you have someone sending you BIG HUGS and AWESOME THOUGHTS your way. I, too, met my ex when I was young (and dumb) at the age of 19. I'm so glad you're out of that relationship and so glad that you've managed to transfer that emotion into such a beautiful card - it's colored amazingly! Thank you SO much for joining in at the Hop to Stop and for being brave enough to share your story.

Sue Reynolds said...

What an adorable card and fantastic coloring and background paper and the embellishments added, and the sentiment is so fitting for this cause.

KT Fit Kitty said...

Thank you for sharing your story - I teared up as I read it. I witnessed my mother being beaten by my birth father when I was very young and luckily she had the courage to take my brother and I and get out. Your card is so beautiful - I love the sweet image, the flowers, and all the bling. The butterflies and the sentiment say a lot. I'm glad you joined the hop.

Leanne said...

Super cute, love the color and those beads, nicely done. Image of course is so cute, thanks for playing our challenge at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends.

Leanne DT
Lil Patch of Crafty Friends

Lisa said...

Beautiful image...love the bouquet....so pretty....

Tracey Collett said...

Brilliant Creation and thanks for entering the Glitter N Sparkle Challenge Blog this week.
Good Luck
Tracey C - DT

Vic said...

Love the colour combo you used on this card... works beautifully! Thanks for sharing with us the week, over at Glitter n Sparkle. x

Nana said...

Beautiful card. Thanks for linking up over at 2 Creative Chicks

Have a creative day.
Nana
♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥
♥ Paper & Stitches ♥

Avril Watson said...

Karen this is one gorgeous card, beautiful colouring, fab image and super detail, thank you for sharing with us at Whoopsi Daisy this month, best of luck xxx

Michele Henderson said...

Really cute card! I love how the purple beads wind their way around the card!
Take care!
Michele

Jerrie said...

What a darling card. Love the image you used and all the elements on your card. The sentiment is perfect for someone getting out of a DV situation. I am glad you got out with just a scar!

Rae Ann said...

Thank you for sharing your story. At least you had the strength and courage to get yourself out of that situation and begin your healing journey. Love the butterflies and they are a wonderful touch to remind all of us of new beginnings.

Thank you for joining us at Li’l Patch of Crafty Friends for our challenge.

Janis Lewis said...

Sweet card!
Thanks for linking up over at 2 Creative Chicks
:) Janis